Q & A Session – Overpayment of Retirement


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I have been notified that OPM made an overpayment to my FERS retirement. How do I know if I was actually overpaid and how do I fill out the financial questionnaire that was sent to me?


I cannot answer your question with the information provided. OPM will attempt to recover erroneous payments. I do not know if OPM’s calculations are correct. The financial information request is most likely to determine how much OPM will deduct from each retirement check.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply