Q & A Session – Health Insurance for Same Sex Partner


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I have a same-sex partner and saw a notice that as of July 1, federal employees will be able to add their same-sex partners to their long-term care polices. A later memo said that same-sex partners and their children could be eligible for child care subsidies and services, credit union membership, fitness facility and counseling services, life insurance, and other forms of employee assistance. Does this mean my partner could be added to my health insurance?


No. Congress would need to change the law.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.



About Author

Leave A Reply