Q & A Session – Annual Leave as Lump Sum


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


After an involuntary separation, I wanted to use annual leave for my last five weeks after my last day on the job. However, I wanted my annual leave spread out, rather than in a lump sum to preserve my health benefits for as long as possible and extend my service for retirement purposes. Is there a rule that says you have to have a lump sum or can I have it spread out over weeks?


You can take annual leave for your last five weeks, if the leave is approved. If the leave is not approved, you are stuck with the lump sum payment.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.



About Author

Leave A Reply