Q & A Session – Challenging a Downgrade


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


After a desk audit at my agency, I was downgraded a GS grade but my pay was not affected. However, I have asked HR to furnish me with the findings that justified this change but have been ignored. How do I get the information I need to appeal or challenge this action?


You can file a Freedom of Information Privacy Act request for the information. You might not receive information concerning other employees because of privacy rights, but you will receive information about yourself.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.



About Author

1 Comment

Leave A Reply