Q & A Session – Individual FEHBP Coverage and Retirement


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


Both my spouse and I are retired federal employees with an annuity. We enrolled in the Federal Health Plan in 1967. My spouse is enrolled as a member and I am the dependent. I retired in 2001 with 12 years of service. We are separated and I would like to enroll in a self-only policy. Am I eligible to enroll in a self-only policy? If so, can I enroll myself or does my spouse have to make the request?


Sorry. You are required to have individual Federal Employee Health Benefits Plan (FEHBP) coverage for the 5 years preceding retirement in order to carry FEHBP entitlements into retirement. Find a way to continue to be the dependent.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author


  1. Is that correct? I believe that coverage under a family plan counts towards the five years needed prior to retirement.

  2. I thought the same. I retired at the end of 2010 and went on my wife’s FEHB as dependent for 2011 and plan to switch to individual for 2012. Please provide the reference to show this is not allowed. Thank you.

Leave A Reply