Q & A Session – Reimbursed for Unused Sick Leave


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I was employed with USMS but later resigned and obtained a position with another agency. I recently discovered that the USMS had eliminated my sick leave hours. Will I be eligible to obtain payment for the missing hours, the same as I received for my annual leave?


No. You cannot receive payment for sick leave. You should, however, through some sort of an audit process, be entitled to a sick leave re-auditing of your balance when you left USMS.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply