Q & A Session – NSPS to GS Conversion


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I was recently converted from the National Security Personnel System (NSPS) to the General Schedule (GS), from a YH-03 to a GS-13, which I see as a demotion. I was originally a GS-13 when I was first converted to NSPS and later became a YH-02 in 2001 and a YH-03 in 2008 for accretion of duties.

My supervisor and department head have said they were not aware of this change and believe I am working at the GS-14 level. However, my command also says they do not have job classification authority. We are filing an appeal, but do not know how to appeal this decision or where we should file the appeal.

Is this legal?


The question is, “Is this legal?” The answer is yes. You request a desk audit and file a classification appeal on your grade level. The rate of success for employees on classification appeals is low.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply