Q & A Session – Personnel Problems


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


My office has two employees who do not get along. Periodically, one employee acts as acting supervisor because he is a higher grade. Every time this employee is placed into a position of authority there are problems between the two. Both have filed complaints against each other and senior management has decided not to act on the complaints. Is there anything that I can do or say to them?


Are you the supervisor? If so, you should be making judgments about discipline for one or both for reasons that promote the efficiencies of the service. There is also the possibility of mediation. You cannot just let this go. Ask employee relations for advice.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

1 Comment

  1. I will be required to either retire or seek another job if I do not want to retire. The QUESTION IS : if I retire from DoDEA as a Army JROTC Instructor, would I be able to apply for an job in the Government Services?

Leave A Reply