Q & A Session – Suing OPM for Retirement Checks


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I am under FERS and retired June 30, 2011. I have yet to get a full retirement check. I know I am one of many in this situation. Can retirees as a group sue OPM for our back pay with interest and penalties?


There is no authority to sue OPM. Congress, however, is closely watching OPM, which recently improved its retirement backlog.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

1 Comment

  1. Very interesting… This is the United States, the place where anyone can sue for anything!!!!

    This could be a viable course to pursue. Too many failures of OPM and lack of correction resulting in hardships for many. A sad state of affairs.

Leave A Reply