Q & A Session – Exempt from Paying Social Security?


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


After my CSRS retirement from the government, can I legally opt out of paying Social Security in future employment endeavors? I will retire with 40 years of military time, and due to my secondary employment I have held throughout the years, my CSRS gross will be $86,0000, nullifying any Social Security benefit for which I may be entitled. I intend to seek other work and do not want to pay for something I will never obtain.


You have to pay Social Security or employment taxes for any covered job no matter how old you are or how long you’ve been working and paying into the system.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply