Q & A Session – Annual Leave when Fired or Terminated


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I am a federal employee. I believe my employer may take a personnel action against me in the next couple of week that could cost me my job.

If I am fired, will I still receive a lump sum payment of my annual leave or will that be forfeited to the government?


Under Title 5, Section 5551 of the U.S. Code, you are entitled to receive a lump sum payment for accumulated, unused annual leave upon separation from federal service.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply