Q & A Session: Performance Ratings and Retirement



Can a federal employee retire having had an unacceptable performance rating at the time of retirement?


Yes, so long as a federal employee meet requirements of whichever retirement mechanism applies to him or her, the employee can retire having an unacceptable performance rating at the time of retirement.

Keep in mind, if you receive an unacceptable rating at the end of your performance improvement plan (PIP) and you subsequently receive a proposed personnel action (i.e. proposed removal or proposed demotion) because of any alleged poor performance, you can resign but the SF-50 memorializing your separation from the federal service will be coded to indicate you separated in lieu of an involuntary action.

This response is written by James P. Garay Heelan, associate attorney of Shaw Bransford & Roth P.C., a federal employment law firm.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply