Q&A: Can I be Reassigned to a Different Series?


Q: After an organizational change, I was reassigned to another division. The division director asked if I would like to be moved from a 2210 IT specialist series, to a 343 Management Analyst. Can she move me to another position that is outside my current series, even though there are plenty of job openings in my current series?

A: The short answer is yes, the agency may re-assign you to a different series. In general, federal agencies are permitted to re-assign employees from one position to another to promote the efficiency of the federal service. See, 5 C.F.R. § 335.102. The agency should determine that you are qualified for the position to which it wishes to re-assign you or should make adjustments or waive qualifications for the position consistent with OPM requirements should you not meet the qualifications.

Should you refuse the re-assignment, the agency has the right to terminate your employment.

The agency is permitted to canvass employees to see who would like a re-assignment and make re-assignments based on that information. In your situation, since your manager has come to you and asked your preference, you may indicate you prefer not to move to a position in a different series. However, should your manager find no volunteers to fill the slots that need to be filled, the manager may fill it by directed re-assignment.

A good summary of re-assignment procedures can be found here: OPM Reduction in Force.

This response was written by Lisa A. Kleine, associate attorney at Shaw Bransford & Roth P.C., a federal employment law firm.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Shaw Bransford & Roth

Shaw Bransford & Roth provides legal representation on a wide range of employment and federal employment law issues. For more information visit us at: http://www.shawbransford.com

Leave A Reply