Q&A Session


Ask the Lawyer received the following paraphrased question from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


How should a federal supervisor handle a situation where an employee has voluntarily confessed substance abuse to the supervisor? Should the supervisor send the employee to an employee assistance program (EAP), talk to human relations staff, or report the employee to security staff?

A: Substance Abusing Subordinates

A supervisor who suspects substance abuse, or who has an employee confess substance abuse, has a particular challenge.  First, the supervisor should be aware that current substance abuse, whether it is alcohol or illegal drugs, does not, in and of itself, make the employee disabled.  Thus, the employee is not entitled to special treatment because of their current problem, even if the substance abuse problem is considered an illness.  Also, substance abuse does not excuse or mitigate poor performance.

Second, much of substance abuse concerns illegal drugs.  The supervisor is therefore dealing with potential criminal behavior that could be disqualifying for federal employment, particularly if a security clearance is required for the job in question.

Drug testing, which occurs in some agencies randomly, is certainly an option, but the manager should first check with the General Counsel’s office to make sure it is authorized in your particular circumstances.

Finally, the supervisor with the substance abusing subordinate should immediately notify HR and determine what follow up is necessary.  EAP and security are definite considerations.  Protecting employee confidences or confessions of a problem are secondary to the EAP referral, protecting the employee and others and getting the job done.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply