Q&A Session – Non-Lawyer Representation


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


Can a non-lawyer can be a representative in an EEO case and what can’t they do that a lawyer can?


The EEOC is not a court and a non-lawyer can represent a complainant there. If the case ends up in federal district court, the complainant can only proceed pro se (represent him or herself) or with a licensed lawyer. If a non-lawyer represents someone at the agency or at the EEOC, a prevailing complainant would not be entitled to attorney fees.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply