Q&A Session – Challenging Classification and PDs


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I have been working without performance standards and my position description, classification and grade does not accurately reflect what I do. OPM has advised that they cannot conduct a review of the agency’s classification program without first allowing the agency to address the issue. The agency has not taken any action. Do we have any recourse to address this issue?


The complicated, arcane and outdated classification system does depend on accurate position descriptions (PD) and fair classification decisions based on those PDs. You can file a grievance over an inaccurate PD or request a desk audit. If you don’t get a desk audit, you can file a grievance over that. But, management may deny your grievance and there is little recourse to that denial (unless you are in a bargaining unit). By raising these issues, you increase the likelihood that management will pay attention to your concerns. Once you have an accurate PD, the classification appeal to OPM is your only and final recourse.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply