Q & A Session – Poor Performer Accusation


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I have been called a poor performer and my attendance and credibility has been questioned, which has created a hostile work environment. How do I handle this as a federal employee?


I do not have enough information to answer this question. Generally, supervisors acting within the scope of their employment who accuse a subordinate of poor performance or attendance issues, even if the accusation is maliciously false, cannot be sued for defamation. An employee who has been unjustly accused of poor performance or misconduct can, of course, file a grievance or an EEO complaint.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

1 Comment

  1. if your on fereral supervised release, and you catch a new case, and run. How long can they keep comming to the resident that the person on supervied release last known resedent with a searh warrent?

Leave A Reply