Q&A Session – Personnel Action Based on PIP


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


Please provide me with the legal authority by which a personnel action can be authorized and issued for an employee who fails a PIP, is fired for poor performance and opts for a discontinued service or early retirement.


The problem with an answer to your question is there is no specific legal authority. It used to be contained in the old federal personnel manual. The best I can do is a reference to 5 U.S.C. § 8336 (d)(1) and 5 U.S.C. § 8414 (b)(1) authorizes discontinued service retirement if an employee is separated involuntarily for reason other than misconduct or delinquency. OPM does not consider removal based on unacceptable performance or 5 U.S.C chapter 43 to be misconduct or delinquency.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply