Q & A Session – Base Pay Reduction


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


During the NSPS to GS conversion in June 2010, my base pay was reduced 10%. The reduction in base pay was not administrative or voluntary. Is this legal?


If your base salary was reduced, you may have an MSPB appeal right. You might consider consulting an attorney or filing an MSPB appeal on your own to raise the issue. Non-probationary employees who have their base pay reduced are entitled to due process.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply