Q & A Session – EAP Referrals


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I read the previous article on how Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) came into existence. Are there other reasons to refer to an EAP besides alcohol or drug use? What about if your husband is an alcoholic or if your spouse is physically abusive and that has led to poor performance?


EAPs can be used for very broad purposes, including all those mentioned in this inquiry. The reason for the emphasis on alcohol and drug abuse in the earlier column is that the statutory bans for EAPs stem from alcohol and drug abuse.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply