Q & A Session – Family Separation Allowance Entitlement


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I am a civilian employee and am required to attend mandatory training for three months at a location far away from my home. My meals, lodging and travel expenses are covered. Am I entitled to Family Separation Allowance or any other compensation for TDY?


No.  Family Separation Allowance is not available for civilian employees; rather, Family Separation Allowance is only payable to active-duty service members with dependents away from their permanent duty station for more than 30 consecutive days.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply