Q & A Session – Appealing to MSPB after Discontinued Service Retirement


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I received a notice of proposed removal for poor performance after a PIP, however, I was informed that I meet basic eligibility for discontinued service retirement. If I elect to retire under discontinued service, do I give up my right to file an appeal with MSPB?


An employee who is separated for poor performance after a PIP under the procedures on chapter 43 of Title 5 is entitled to an appeal at the MSPB. Such an employee who is also over 50 years old and who has 20 years of service or who is any age with 25 years of service is also eligible for discontinued service retirement. The retirement does not waive the appeal rights.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply