Q & A Session – Findings from an Informal EEO Investigation


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I filed an EEO complaint against my supervisor. An informal investigation was completed after 6 months and the agency did not give me access to its findings, after I expected to receive this. A formal investigation followed. However, I was moved from my workplace to a separate location for allegations made against me by my supervisor. Can I obtain the findings from my informal investigation? Can I sue other federal employees for defamation of character?


Generally speaking, your rights are defined by and are limited to the EEO process. A separate civil action about the EEO process and a defamation or claim against your coworkers are most likely to be thrown out of court for lack of jurisdiction. Popular culture notwithstanding, the reality is that federal employees cannot sue for every perceived injustice and are limited in their recourse to narrowly defined rights.


Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.



About Author

Leave A Reply