Q & A Session – Government Travel Card Payments


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I am a part-time federal employee who is required to have a GSA travel card. I have not been trained to do my own vouchers so I have to depend on someone in my regional office to do all reservations and arrange for payment of the card. Mistakes have previously been made that have resulted in problems with the credit card company. I have been told if the card is suspended for non-payment, I could face disciplinary actions and it could affect my credit. Is this legal?


Yes, the government can do this and expects you to pay your travel card bill. You describe mitigating circumstances that may affect whether there is discipline and how severe it is.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.



About Author

Leave A Reply