Q & A Session – Requesting Advance Sick Leave


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I have over 26 years of government service and have been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, anxiety and depression. I have applied to Social Security for disability and am out of sick leave and running out annual leave. Can I request advance sick leave even though I have applied for disability?


You can apply. Your agency will grant or deny the advance sick leave based on their discretion. Have you also applied for disability retirement? Given over 26 years of service, you may also qualify for discontinued service retirement if your agencies fires you for not meeting the medical requirements of your job (as opposed to AWOL for not coming to work after you run out of leave).

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply