Q & A Session – Requesting Documentation in EEO Complaint


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I am representing my mother in an EEO complaint. As her representative, can I request copies of the documentation she submitted to her supervisor regarding her medical leave?


Your mother is entitled to information the government maintains in a file with her name on it. She can designate you as her representative to receive that information. It is unclear to me that you have received that status as her representative. If you are entitled to Privacy Act information and it is denied, you can file your own Privacy Act lawsuit or you can get something from the EEOC Administrative Judge.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.



About Author

Leave A Reply