Q & A Session – Backdating PAR


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


Recently, my supervisor produced a PAR for me on or about May 14, 2010 and backdated the PAR to October 22, 2008. I was not given the opportunity to sign, nor informed the PAR was placed in my personnel file. Is this considered falsifying official government documents?


This question is difficult to answer without more information. The real issue presented, however, is whether—even if you can prove backdating to the point of it being a false document—anyone would care about it. What is the issue that makes the backdating of your PAR important? If it is evidence in an EEO case, you might get some mileage out of a backdating/falsification argument. Otherwise, you might experience a lot of blank stares and disinterest.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

1 Comment

  1. What can you do if you asked your union for help? You received back from your representatives an email. In this email your union is putting you in a negative light with management. Labor board is not an option for me.

Leave A Reply