Retroactivity of Grade


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


Prior to the National Security Personnel System (NSPS), I was a GS-13. My position did not convert to NSPS; however, I applied for and was selected for a supervisory position under NSPS. This position never existed under the GS system; it was the result of an organizational reorganization. When I converted back from NSPS to GS, I was placed in a non-supervisory, GS-13 position. However, I continued to perform the same functions and responsibilities as I had under NSPS. Similar positions within my organization and other organizations converted back to supervisory GS-14 positions. Therefore, I filed an appeal through my agency.

My agency has agreed I should be a supervisory GS-14; however, they are indicating the grade will not be retroactive to when the conversion took place. Do I have any recourse for the grade itself to be retroactive?


Unfortunately, mistakes and delays in appointments and promotions, in and of themselves, do not include back pay.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw, Bransford & Roth, PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply