Q & A Session – Union Settles Grievance Without Grievant


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I have a grievance with my agency and my Union invoked arbitration on June 2010. After 18 months of waiting for a hearing, the agency cancelled the hearing three days before the date of the hearing. They attempted to settle, but what was offered was an insult to my intelligence. I have not communicated with my Union in any way since Nov. 2011, and today I was emailed a settlement agreement my Union President signed settling my grievance without my knowledge or consent. I do not agree with the settlement AT ALL. Can my Union settle a grievance without consulting me?


Yes. Your union is your exclusive representative and the case is between them and the agency. Your union does have a duty to represent you fairly and you may be able to file a claim with the Federal Labor Relations Authority if you believe this did not happen.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply