Q & A Session – Former Employer Gives Negative and False Reference


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


A former employer of mine gave a false and negative employment reference on me. I was able to obtain the job, but I still feel scared. What can I do about this? Can I file an EEO complaint?


An EEO complaint is probably not effective, especially if your former employer was not the U.S. government. If you landed the job despite the negative reference, it is probably best not to draw attention to the reference and concentrate on doing your best work with your new opportunity.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply