Q & A Session – LWOP Question


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I am a military spouse and a federal employee with one year of service. My husband received PCS orders to a different area and I am moving with him. My agency will have a vacancy in the new area but it is only a GS-06 and I am currently a GS-08. I don’t want to transfer into that position because I lose my preference if I take it and I don’t feel it’s comparable. My director is requesting denial of my LWOP request because she wants to fill my position since I won’t take the transfer. Do I have any options?


You can stay home and keep your current job. Or, you can take the downgrade (or no job) and go on the PCS. LWOP is at the discretion of management.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply