Q & A Session – Unethical Supervisor


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I work for a federal agency and have concerns about my supervisor’s work habits. He routinely takes long lunches and uses his government phone to conduct personal business, among other things. There are many examples of unethical practices, but am I overreacting? What should be done?


You are describing making yourself a whistleblower. What you are disclosing is a protected disclosure, but many whistleblowers experience reprisal. If you decide to disclose the wrongdoing you believe you are observing and experience reprisal, you may file a claim with the U.S. Office of Special Counsel.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author


  1. And pray that upper management and the OSC share “your” belief his actions are in fact wrongdoing which would make you a whistle blower. Otherwise you risk being labeled just another malcontent or disgruntled employee in need of a performance improvement program.

  2. I am a supervisor That had an EEO complaint filed against me for Taking an action on an employee, (Discipline)
    The charges were not founded,
    I would like to know if I can Sue that Employee for deformation of Character.

Leave A Reply