Q & A Session – Reduction in Salary


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


As an employee with the judiciary, my position was eliminated and I accepted a position under saved grade, saved pay. The position that I accepted was downgraded from a GS-11 to a GS-9 when it was offered to me. Now, the Judicial Conference has voted to eliminate saved grade, saved pay and I face a $15,000 annual pay-cut. What, if any, remedies are left for me other than to find a new job?


The judiciary has independent personnel rules and the authority to change them. You can file a grievance, but if this action is pursuant to a new policy and the policy is applied fairly to you, I doubt the grievance would be successful.

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Debra Roth

Debra L. Roth is a partner at the law firm Shaw Bransford & Roth, a federal employment law firm in Washington, D.C. She is general counsel to the Senior Executives Association and the Federal Managers Association, host of the “FEDtalk” program on Federal News Radio, and a regular contributor to Federal News Radio’s “Federal Drive” morning show. Email your legal questions to lawyer@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply