Q & A Session – Civil Suits against Federal Employees


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


Is it possible to file a civil suit against a supervisor for discrimination, falsification of federal documents against a federal employee, defamation of character, unequal opportunities to advance similar to non-ethnic employees?

The EEO process has already started against her supervisor for not acting to correct the situation. I am considering filing against my boss in civil court, separate of the EEO action. Is this possible?


No. Supervisors (and all federal employees) are immune from civil suits for acts they perform within the scope of their employment. Your remedy is with the EEO process.


Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply