Q & A Session – Retiring Through Discontinued Service


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I am 57 years old with 30 years of federal service. I was placed on a PIP for receiving a rating of “1” on one of five critical elements. There is now a proposal to remove me from federal service. I have a hearing scheduled; if removed, will I be eligible to retire through discontinued service?


Yes, provided you are removed under authority of Chapter 43 of the Civil Service Reform Act, you may retire with 25 years of service at any age or 20 years if you are over the age of 50. 

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

1 Comment

  1. He should be eligible to file for immediate retirement under MRA+30. That way, he doesn’t have to go through the painful removal process and hope they get his DSR right.

Leave A Reply