Q & A Session – Right to Potential Pay?


Ask the Lawyer received the following question (paraphrased for easier reading and clarity) from a reader on a legal matter that might be of interest to the entire audience.


I am a civilian employee for the US Army. When we converted from the NSPS pay system to the GS, many of us in our office lost a significant amount in potential pay. Is there a way to get this potential pay back?


Congress has the authority to change the pay systems governing federal employees. They were aware of the change in the potential pay when they ended NSPS and put employees back on the GS scale. You have no right to “potential” pay. 

Bill Bransford is managing partner of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply