Q & A Session: Equal Employment Opportunity complaint



Can a recently retired federal employee file an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) complaint?


Yes, for the purposes of filing a complaint, whether the complainant still works for the allegedly discriminatory agency, or not, is immaterial. EEOC regulations require only that the complainant contact the relevant EEO counselor within 45 days of the allegedly discriminatory act. In the case of a retired federal employee, the appropriate EEO counselor would be the counselor for the retiree’s former federal agency.

This response is written by James P. Garay Heelan, associate attorney of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply