Q & A Session: Sick Leave to Care for Another



Can my agency ask me for information about how I am related to someone when I put in for sick leave to care for that person?


Yes. When a federal employee requests sick leave to care for a family member, the employer agency may require the employee to document his or her relationship with that family member. But practically, this requirement is not very limiting, as the definition of “family member” in this context is broad and includes even “any individual related by blood or affinity whose close association with the employee is the equivalent of a family relationship;” the complete definition may be found at 5 C.F.R. § 630.201.

This response is written by James P. Garay Heelan, associate attorney of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author


Leave A Reply