Q & A Session: Contractor Creating Hostile Work Environment



What do you do when a contractor creates a hostile work environment for a federal employee? Should the federal employee file a complaint with the contractor’s company?


As a federal employee, it is the federal government which has an obligation to keep you free from a hostile work environment. If you wish to file a complaint, you should file any complaint you have with your agency’s EEO office. The contractor’s company also may take action on its own, for example by distinguishing your complaint and subsequently  transferring or firing the employee.

This response is written by Michael S. Causey, associate attorney of Shaw Bransford & Roth PC.

Disclaimer: Ask The Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask The Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply