Q & A Session: Rights When Suspect Favoritism



What are my rights if I suspect favoritism in the hiring process?


You could file a complaint with either the agency’s inspector general or the Office of Special Counsel (OSC) if it involves prohibited personnel practices. For instance, OSC investigates prohibited personnel practices, including allegations that an agency official: requested or considered a recommendation based on political connections or influence; obstructed anyone from competing for employment; influenced anyone to withdraw from competition in order to improve or injure the employment prospects of any person; gave an unauthorized advantage in order to improve or injure the employment prospects of any person; engaged in nepotism. Visit osc.gov for more information on filing a complaint.

This response is written by Maria N. Coleman, supervisory attorney of Shaw Bransford & Roth P.C., a federal employment law firm.

Disclaimer: Ask a Lawyer publishes information on this website for informational purposes only. Information on this website is intended – but not promised, guaranteed, or warranted – to reflect correct, complete and current developments. In addition, the contents of the website do not constitute legal advice and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the attorney. Information from this website is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. You should not act, or refrain from acting, based on information on this website without seeking specific legal advice about your particular circumstances. No attorney-client relationship between you and Ask a Lawyer’s author is created by the transmission of information to or from this site.


About Author

Leave A Reply